Top Industries in Northwest Ohio
As a global leader in such industries as renewable energy, logistics, advanced manufacturing, automotive, food processing / agribusiness, and biosciences, the Northwest Ohio region offers the talent and expertise for international companies to invest and grow successfully in the North American market. Our resources—both natural and intellectual—have supported the headquarters for four of Ohio’s 27 Fortune 500 companies, as well as 11 others that have significant operations in the region.
These industries excel here because Northwest Ohio is centrally located in the North American market, has a highly trained and educated workforce, and upholds a long-standing reputation for manufacturing excellence. The Regional Growth Partnership’s investment promotion efforts are focused on six primary industry clusters:
- Advanced & Alternative Energy: Northwest Ohio was dubbed as “Solar Valley” by CNN for its concentration of solar panel companies. Spain’s Isofoton is the most recent company to invest here.
- Advanced Materials & Manufacturing Technologies: There is no better place in the world to manufacture products than Northwest Ohio, where the most trusted names in business—Dana Corporation, Owens Corning, Owens-Illinois, Johnson Controls, Whirlpool—have been operating since the Industrial Revolution.
- Automotive: Chrysler-Fiat is investing $500 million to build five new Fiat product lines in Toledo’s North Assembly Plant. GM is also expanding, with $260 million invested in its Toledo-based Transmission Plant.
- Bioscience: Nearly 150 bioscience companies currently operate in the region. The University of Toledo holds 125 patents and $60 million in research grants.
- Food Processing & Agribusiness: Anderson’s is headquartered in Maumee, while Campbell’s Soup, ConAgra Foods and J.M. Smucker are among the other major companies operating here.
- Transportation & Integrated Logistics: The Port of Toledo boasts the most modern and efficient port in the Great Lakes Region, and CSX operates a state-of-the-art rail transportation hub.
Foreign-Based Companies in Northwest Ohio
More than 150 foreign-owned companies do business in Northwest Ohio. They include:
- Air Liquide
- Kobe Steel
- NSG Pilkington